Ubuntu 6.1 Boot-up fail

Christopher Lees christopher_lees at iprimus.com.au
Tue Sep 11 11:24:34 BST 2007

john france <john.h.france at gmail.com> wrote:

> Both 32 Bit & 64 Bit versions of the software have been tried.
> I had 6.1 loaded but upgraded to 7.04. Previously 6.1
> worked a treat, but I upgraded thinking that I was going
> to a better version. Unfortunately I didn't realise that 7.04
> had all the multimedia files and Java removed,
> which I required to run Frostwire etc.

I'm sorry I'm unable to help you with your Ubuntu 6.10 kernel panic
problem, but does the problem occur on the Ubuntu 7.04 Desktop CD? If
not, you should try installing the 32-bit version of that.

I'm guessing that you went from 32-bit Edgy to 64-bit Feisty. Since
Java, Flash, Skype and the w32codecs have not been compiled for 64-bit
(by Sun, Adobe, Skype and Microsoft respectively), they are not
available for easy installation on 64-bit Ubuntu. It's possible to get
them working, but as long as you've got less than 4 gigabytes of RAM
there's no need to struggle, just install the 32-bit version of Ubuntu.