swappiness for older NB runing xubuntu

Daniel Mons daniel.mons at iinet.net.au
Tue Oct 30 21:30:43 GMT 2007

The only times I tweak swappiness on a machine is if I'm either on a
high-end workstation (very different to a regular home/office desktop)
with lots of local RAM, or building something application specific, like
a database server (again, with lots of RAM - 8GB/16GB or more).

I don't think tweaking the swappiness of a low-end desktop with not much
RAM is going to help you out much.  Essentially the "swappiness" value
is designed to tell the kernel how urgently it should try to migrate
things to swap.  On machines/servers with lots of RAM and memory hungry
applications, you want them to stay in memory by preference always for
performance reasons, even when relatively idle. On a machine with low
amounts of RAM, you're going to be forced to put things in swap
regularly anyway, and that's probably a good thing, as stale/unused
programs should go there while you use foreground tasks.

If you want to speed up older machines like the one below, you're going
to have to do it the old fashioned way - disable/remove programs and
applets you don't use, use less memory hungry applications and window
managers (Fluxbox, XFCE, etc), avoid memory hungry wallpapers,
screensavers, etc.  Or of course, find some old RAM sticks and give it
an upgrade. :)

-Dan