Samba

Daniel Mons daniel.mons at iinet.net.au
Thu Oct 11 00:18:50 BST 2007

Scott McKean wrote:
> So there are two servers fighting for 'control' of the Samba network.
> 'TONY-LINUX' and 'SERVER' from what I can tell.

If that's the case, setting one of the machines with the "preferred
master" directive and a high "OS level" (greater than 50 or so should
set it straight) will solve that problem, and make one of the servers
always win the master browser election for your network when NMB fires up.

"man smb.conf" will explain what these mean, and why they need to be
set.  Likewise, John H. Terpstra's excellent "Samba 3 by Example" book
will also explain why these need to be set:
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/

(Don't they teach this sort of thing in RHCE courses?)

But yes, we need complete config files and logs from all relevant
machines.  Both the log.smbd and log.nmbd files, as well as the log
files specific to the machines doing the sharing (ipaddress.log or
hostname.log in /var/log/samba/).  They will explain whether it's an
issue with SMB (the actual file-sharing daemon) or a problem with NMB
(the name lookup/resolution daemon).

You can of course test this a little further by connecting to the
machine in question by IP rather than by hostname.

-Dan