Hardware problem: Dead desktop

Owen Townend bowbowbow at optushome.com.au
Sun Nov 11 06:30:13 GMT 2007

On Sat, 2007-11-10 at 16:08 +1100, Blindraven wrote:
> MSY is the be all and end all of cheapness, there is no cheaper
> service anywhere in Australia.
> However, with that price comes being treated like an idiot, standing
> in queues for in excess off and hour+ and general shitty service.
>
> On Nov 10, 2007 2:40 PM, martin fricke <camelgrass at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>         On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 13:19:20 +1000, Leslie Gossner
>         <clownius at gossner.id.au> wrote:
>
>         > Mark M Lambert wrote:
>         >> Hi Leslie, thanks for your reply. The computer is about 3
>         years old,
>         >> assembled by myself from bits and pieces so no warranty
>         (didn't keep
>         >> receipts). I don't have a spare video card, foolishly threw
>         away when I
>         >> moved house 2 months ago! I live in St Peters, about 10
>         mins from the
>         >> Sydney CBD.
>         >> Specs:
>         >> Intel PEntium 4 2.4GHz
>         >> 512Mb DDR RAM (one stick)
>         >> Gigabyte GA-8S648FX mobo
>         >> Unknown brand low-end Nvidia card near-new
>         >> Samsung DVD burner
>         >> Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 hard drive
>         >>  .. and i've just noticed a bad burning smell coming from
>         the CPU...
>         >> :(
>         >>
>         >>
>         >>

Hey,
  MSY is cheap, but not always the cheapest. Fluidtek
(http://www.fluidtek.com.au/) is often cheaper, and are closer to home
for me. They're in Carlingford. Service is better, prices are similar.
If price is less of an issue and you're in the city try going to Capitol
Square in Chinatown on George St. just near the intersection of the
light rail tracks. There are about a dozen little pc shops in a small
area upstairs between a karaoke place and a computer shop. None of them
will match MSY but there's a lot of choice and they'll beat each other.
Great especially for browsing.

  On the original issue, I'll second the probability of the mobo being
dead, but I'd try checking the power supply first. I've had some very
strange symptoms attributed to PSU issues in the past.
  If you have a multimeter check all the voltages. You can turn the psu
on without it being connected to the mobo by shorting the green wire to
any of the black ones. There's only one green wire. A bent paper clip
will do the trick. Then you can check all the voltages on the connector.

cheers,
Owen.