Swap going 100 mile an hour virtually freezing PC

newcr newcr at westnet.com.au
Wed Nov 7 02:40:36 GMT 2007

Hi all
Just wondering if anyone can tell me what is going on ....

Swap going 100 mile an hour virtually freezing PC. It has been happening
the last 3 days. It is not specific to an application or whether I am
off-line or on-line (dial-up). I thought it was OpenOffice for a while
as it coincided with usage; However, today I was using Thunderbird and
Firefox and same thing happened. While it does not completely freeze it
virtually comes to a stand-still while something is going on with the
hard-drive. Is there a problem or is it doing something like a defrag.
Can I get control back of my PC. I have tried looking at logs to see
what it is (/var/log) but haven't found the right log (or don't know
what I am looking at).

Recently installed 7.04 (About 3 weeks ago).

Any help appreciated