ubuntu-au Digest, Vol 15, Issue 9

Damian Nolan djnolz at aapt.net.au
Tue May 15 02:24:50 BST 2007

>Message: 6
>Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 05:56:36 +0100
>From: Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
>Subject: APC (was: Re: ubuntu-au Digest, Vol 15, Issue 8)
>To: ubuntu-au at lists.ubuntu.com

>This one time, at band camp, Damian Nolan wrote:

>> Chris, I also picked up on this blunder regarding the recycle bin. I emailed
>> Ashton Mills (the author) directly who seemed to take it pretty well. He did
>> offer the fact that he was trying to write the article from the perspective
of
>> the windows user who has never even seen linux before.

>You'll have to forgive Ashton.  In general he's a very very good
>journalist, but he's also mind-bogglingly busy.  I'm sure he'll action
>your comments in good faith.  He's one of the most clued-up and ethical
>IT journos I ever encountered while in the industry.  The shortage of
>people like him was why I got out of the business.  Well, that and
>better wages and conditions.

>Have to say, I've also had similar problems with Ubuntu's recycle bin
>and my mp3 player.  When I delete things, they get moved to .Trash on
>the player, and when I ask to empty the bin, the files don't go away.
>Though normally I do things on the command line, so it's not a problem
>in most cases for me.

>APC is run by very passionate enthusiasts.  They're always open to new
>ideas.  Unfortunately they work for an evil corporation and tend to be
>overworked.

>Disclosure: I co-wrote a couple of books for ACP with Asthon as my
>editor.  He's also a mate ;)

>PS: Damien, do you think you could respond to the list without quoting
>the entire digest?

>--
>Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
>www.rumble.net

Oops, sorry, my bad, thought I had removed it!

Yes, I would have to agree, On his reply, Ashton did mention that after it went
to print, he had realised that he had made a slight mistake in his wording.

I generally like reading APC. It gives a decent look at a few things, although,
these things generally tend to lean into biggin it up for microsoft and its
altest offering, and leaving the rest of us hanging out for more. So, in an
effort to fill this void, I read an additional mag from the UK - Linux Format,
and sometimes Linux Magazine.

Cheers

Damian Nolan