News

Andre Mangan andremangan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 01:27:55 BST 2007

On 21/06/07, Andrew Swinn <andrew at swinndesign.com> wrote:

> Andre Mangan wrote:
> >
> > The following article appeared in the Sydney Morning Herald on Tuesday,
> > 19th June, 2007, p.25, IT Update.
> >
> > Windows cracked
> > A Linux penguin is claiming a coup: he has fooled Microsoft into
> > thinking an Ubuntu Linux installation was "genuine Windows".
> > Microsoft's Windows Genuine Validation is "an online validation process
> > that allows you to verify that your copy of Windows is genuine", says
> > Microsoft's website.  However Linux user "Rob" posted an account of how
> > he used a Windows emulator and a program called IEs4 Linux and was
> > astounded to find Microsoft's system validated him as a genuine Windows
> > user.  "I just did this for a laugh and didn't expect it to work," he
> said.
>
> I was curious as to why this would be of any use. All the
> patches/hotfixes can be downloaded separately if the dodgy validation
> fails.
>
> The article make reference to Windows Defender. I am puzzled as to why
> anyone in the Linux community would see value in this product.
>
> The only other thing I can think of that requires validation is the IE7
> install, but that is done during the installation process and you cannot
> download the whole thing in one go.
>
> Have a I missed something?
>
> Andrew S.

Since you have appended your comments to my posting of the article from the
Sydney Morning Herald, I feel obliged to respond.

I am at a loss to see any connection between your comments and what I
posted.  Perhaps you intended to respond to someone else.

I posted the article because it made me laugh when I read it and I wanted to
share this piece of (ironic) humour with you all.

Cheers,
Andre

andremangan at gmail.com