newbie help needed

Andre Mangan andremangan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 00:00:28 BST 2007

Thank you for providing more details.  The reason that I asked for your
location was to see if there was someone in your locality who might be able
to assist you personally.  Sounds like you are near the Victorian border.

I think it a pity that you want to spend so much time and energy on running
the very latest version of Ubuntu on a machine that would not even run the
latest version of Windows.

Many inbuilt modems, are winmodems and rely on specially written software.
Therefore they really hardly merit the title of modem.

When you mention adjustment to the vertical and horizontal refresh rates,
these apply to CRT monitors.  LCD monitors adjust automatically.

Yes, you will need to know a bit about Linux.  It is really not much
different, in principle, to the Command Line in Windows.  While all this may
seem like technobabble to you right now, the learning curve is not all that
steep.... and in my opinion is very rewarding.  We have all had to learn
Linux, the same as we had to learn DOS and Windows.  Nowadays Windows hides
its code and keeps it secret - although I did manage on several occasions in
the past to crack into it (Windows 95).

The connect to internet button is via your top panel (the strip at the top
of your desktop screen).  Go to System -> Administration -> Networking.

To persist in trying to get the latest version of Ubuntu running on a
machine with inadequate resources, while not impossible, will do nothing to
ease your frustration levels.  Please consider an installation on your best
machine.

The easiest way to accomplish that is to install a second hard drive and
install Ubuntu on that.  Then you can dual boot, that is, you can make a
choice of whether to go into Windows or go into Ubuntu.  If you would like
to try that, I would be happy to guide you through that.

Cheers,
Andre

andremangan at gmail.com