dialup modem issue

Minarwan (Min) rodinia at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 12:54:29 BST 2007

I am eager to help but I am not an expert on this matter. So, apologize
if this story below doesn't help much.

I have tried to install a modem driver for my laptop, Compaq Presario
700 - Ubuntu 7.04 (Conexant modem), and found a problem with its
Nautilus. Everything became very very slow, so I finally uninstalled the
driver and things came back to normal again (apparently a bug? due to
restricted driver in work).

The steps to install a modem driver are:
1. Obviously a modem is needed first and then look for the chipset
information--->driver

2. Download scanModem.gz

3. Put it in Ubuntu, unzip it and run the program, do not save as .exe,
but follow the instruction here to make it works:
http://132.68.73.235/linmodems/index.html#scanModem
http://132.68.73.235/linmodems/first.html

4. Write down the information needed (in my case it is Conexant, HSF
Softmodem), go to the manufacturer website and download the driver

5. Install the driver downloaded from manufacturer website, obviously
more details instructions are available from the readme
file/installation instruction

More information here:
http://www.linmodems.org/

And obviously someone who is more expert than me will make correction to
this email where necessary. :)

That's all I can remember....

Cheers
Min