Music program

Daniel Mons daniel.mons at iinet.net.au
Thu Jul 19 04:10:22 BST 2007

Whitnall, Dale (North) wrote:
> I have a mate who wants to start on ubuntu but would like to use a music
> editing program like Pro Tools
>
> Is there an equivalent for linux ?

Jack:
http://jackaudio.org/
Network audio format. Just like in a real music studio where you would
have inputs and outputs from various bits of hardware, Jack is a
software version of that. Network based it means that any program that
"speaks jack" can connect to any other program. Have your MIDI program
talk to your software synth, which outputs to your software mixer and
into your software multi-track editor that's also taking input from your
software drum machine. Whether they are all on one computer, or on a
network of machines, it doesn't matter. Create yourself the ultimate
recording deck, all in software!

Ardour:
http://ardour.org/
Massive professional multi-track editor with gobs of features. Talks
Jack (see above), so it plays nice with other software.

Audacity
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
Smallish wav editor. Great for just recording some
sounds/samples/voices, or a single track for input into other software
later.

Jamin:
http://jamin.sourceforge.net/en/about.html
Jack mixer, equaliser and audio kit. Handy for making sure all your
different inputs play nice with each other.

Jokosher
http://www.jokosher.org/
"Garage Band for Linux" is about the best description. Multi-track
editor with all the usual features including Jack support. This one is
getting a lot of attention, and deservedly so from what I can see in the
feature list.

Rose Garden
http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/
Another big powerful multi-track editor aimed squarely at the CuBase
users. Looks quite poerful, and talks Jack as usual.

CSounds
http://csounds.com/
One for the software nerds! Program your own music in C++!

ffado
http://www.ffado.org/
Not music software per se, but a project aiming to get all firewire
devices talking to Linux happily.

Hydrogen:
http://www.hydrogen-music.org/
Linux drum machine. Doof doof! And of course, it talks to Jack like
everyone else should.

Jahshaka
http://www.jahshaka.org/
A few of you will be saying "hey, didn't he talk about this over in the
video editing section?". Yes, I did. But Jahshaka actually started life
as a multi-track audio editor and sound compositor for laying down
soundtracks over movies. Despite being able to do video, it also does
some audio stuff that can come in handy. And you guessed it, it talks Jack.