Ubuntu Switch Disk

Pete Brown pete at geekbuilt.com.au
Wed Jan 31 03:02:20 GMT 2007

Hi everyone,

I made a blog post about vista prices a few days ago and a friend of mine had
a rather nifty idea.
He suggested Ubuntu needed a Switch Disk.
this is what he said.

> Seems like now's the time for Ubuntu to start disting "Switch Disks".
>
> I think we can all imagine what a "Switch Disk" would do: basically an
> intelligent upgrade to Linux.
>
> It would look at your Winst, and pull all the things it needed to set you
> up sweet, then download the various bits of software equivs online.
>
> And then it would fire laser beams at your windisks and destroy them
> utterly.

not sure about the lasers (though mkfs would have the same effect) but i think
the rest is doable.
here the ideas my friend and i have been having on this.

it ask the user what email and web browser they use.
then ask where the files they want to keep are.
then copy those files into the new linux install and import the bookmarks and
email archives and their documents and what ever else.

i think it would work best if it was run from the new linux install.
that way you wouldn't need to back up their potentially enormous amounts of
data.

anyone want to start a project with me to make this a reality?

--
Peter Brown
Partner
E   pete at geekbuilt.com.au