Fwd: Ubuntu Laptop...

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Mon Jan 8 04:17:07 GMT 2007

This one time, at band camp, Michael Nelson wrote:

>    Ooh... Rev can you share your research?

It's an Acer 2428AWXMi.  Pretty good for a low-end laptop.  I bought
this in London so not sure if the same model is available here, but I've
seen ads for very similar-looking hardware at keen prices.  The problem,
of course, is that similar-looking doesn't mean it'll be remotely close
under the hood.  Even if you bought the exact same model there'd be no
guarantee it'll be the same.

This is an area where Linux has definitely got a LOT better in recent
years.  If you were to find a tame retailer who might let you boot to a
live CD, you could check it out.  Or find a very busy Hardly Normal and
do it while they're not looking, then buy from someone else ;)

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

 "Those who know nothing of foreign languages know nothing
  of their own."
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe