Fwd: Re: lg dvd recorder disks wont mount

Les Gray lgray at bigpond.net.au
Mon Aug 27 08:58:17 BST 2007

Hi Les

Had already tried that option as well. In fact tried all the ripping software
in the repos. None will read the disk. Have nnow found the dvd is formated in
udf format, but the superblock or codepage is missing, i.e. a non standard
udf format which windows can handle but linuc can't?. Am considering trying
to format a dvd via the pc and recreating the directory structure b4 using it
in the dvr. What's the worst that'll happen. It wont work and I'll have to
reformat it in the dvr. Will also have a look around doom9.net. May also
check out videohelp.com

James

Hmm, that's weird. I thought linux udf support was supposed to be pretty good
now.

Personally, I don't bother with DVD recorders. While they're good at what they
do, if you want to edit the video it's much easier if you've already recorded
it to your PC's hard drive, rather than have to xfer it over from the DVR.

And the right hardware is dirt cheap these days, too. I use an AVerMedia USB
2.0 digital TV tuner to record via the command line to my PC hard drive. It
works great (was advertised as 'Linux Compatible) and only cost me a $100.

You can get similar devices with analogue-in ports (for VHS dubbing) for the
same money or less. USB is always best, too - less chance of interference
affecting the quality of your signal.

As for videohelp.com, it's good - but it's very much Windows-oriented.

Les