lg dvd recorder disks wont mount

Les Gray lgray at bigpond.net.au
Mon Aug 27 06:24:49 BST 2007

James Takac schrieb:
>> Hi Guys
>>
>> Have 2 lg dvr's, a DR4812W & DR6921W. Windows is able to mount the disks
>> (dvd-rw) for the most part but ubuntu is unable to mount them at all.
>> Obviously I'd like to be able to edit and convert the recorded movies on my
>>
>> ubuntu systems and not just under windows. Anyone had luck with this setup
>> yet or got some ideas? I've done some googling and haven't found anything
>> of
>> yet
>>
>> James
>>
>> --
>>

> Hi David
>
> They're stand alone devices much like a vcr, only using dvd-rw instead of
> tapes. What I'm doing is recording movies with them, then xfering the disks
> to my pc's to convert the formats to the likes of divx/xvid. So in that sense
> ubuntu wont see any drives as they're not part of the pc's
>
> the line re the cdrom drive in fstab is
>
> /dev/cdrom       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
>
> I'm gathering the recorder aint using udf or iso9660?

Hi James,

If your disks are DVD-Video (as opposed to huge .mpeg files saved to a
DVD) then what you want to be doing is ripping them rather than mounting
them and transferring the files to your hard drive. Ripping software
extracts the data from the disc without mounting it, and then re-encodes
the video to whatever supported format you tell the software to use
(apologies if you already knew this).

Linux has a few good DVD ripping tools. The one I use and recommend is
called k9copy, which is particularly good at converting DVD9 to DVD5
(ie. 8.5GB DVDs to regular 4.7s). I dunno how good it is with divx/xvid
though, because I don't work with that format. Other options are dvdrip,
acidrip, and qvamps.

One other tip - use the XFS filesystem if you intend working with video.
It's much more efficient and stable when it comes to very large files.

A good place to find out more about video editing on the PC is doom9.net
, which also has a Linux section. Plus the Video & Multimedia section of
ubuntuforums.org is full of posts from people asking about this, if you
haven't looked there already.

Cheers,
Les