Ubuntu Forums Loco Offering

Adam Smith adam.tropics at yahoo.com.au
Tue Nov 21 08:56:51 GMT 2006

Minarwan (Min) wrote:
> The only advantage I see from a forum is the archiving power of it.
> Since we all understand English, using ubuntuforums.org and
> au.ubuntuforums.org is the same to me personally.
> Now if we need help, getting a response from the IRC should be faster
> than getting a response from a Loco Forum, because IRC should be more
> interactive (not to mention sometime no one visiting the forum). If we
> don't need urgent responses, than a mailing list is enough and if we use
> Gmail (sorry this is not an ads), it is the same as reading a forum as
> long as the subject is the same.
>
> That perhaps is worth only 1c :)
>
> min

As for the archiving power, agreed. As for language, I think the
language point is irrelevant. Yes, we speak English, but the purpose of
the forum needn't be limited to support in its literal sense. There are
no big trade secrets at risk here, so why not use it as a simple way to
do things like develop meeting agendas, openly plan events, whatever.And
honestly, IRC is very off-putting/daunting to a non geek 'new to
Linux/Ubuntu' person. Don't ask me why, it just is!

Not everybody uses gmail, but even if they did, it's not the same. Every
time somebody makes a comment, you download effectively the entire
subject all over again, apart from anything else, it's wasteful and
inefficient. Added to that, the post goes to the whole list...every
time. If only 10% of readers, as an example, are able to help with an
issue, then what was the point of sending all the information, over and
over as the subject develops, to the 90% unable to help. At least in a
forum, I have a vague idea if I can help from the title.
> Andrew Swinn wrote:
>
>> Forums once holding a few posts form an ideal reference manual. I think
>> it would be a worthy thing. Going with Ubuntuforums would be my pick.
>>
>> If the only reason to put it on ubuntu.com.au is to make it look full
>> then I think that is a flawed idea. At least if it is located with all
>> the rest of the forums then the whole lot would be searchable as well as
>>   just the au bit.
>>
>> Andrew Swinn (Phlosten)

Agreed.

> Ok that was a bit of bad wording and incomplete explaining on my part.
> Aside from the fact that it would add some more function to
> ubuntu.com.au, it would also be at an already established LoCo-specific
> destination.

And I could have put it better, sorry, no matter. I do see your point.