Buying a laptop without MS

Bohdan S bohdan.s at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 01:00:09 BST 2006

Hello,
Selling laptops with ubuntu i dont think is a great idea as yet, me and all
my uni freinds are currently running ubuntu on laptops and ALL of us have
some issue somewhere with it, all have problems with WPA wireless for
example and only half of us have things like battery monitering,
suspend/hibanate and speetstep control. im not saying its a bad i dea im
just saying its not quite ready for the person who "just wants to use it".
Bohdan

On 6/15/06, Morgan Storey <me at morganstorey.com> wrote:

>  Hi Andrew and everyone,
>
> I happen to be able to resell Twinhead laptops and have spoken to them,
> they are happy to remove the Microsoft Tax on their laptops.
> I may have mentioned this on the IRC channel, but I am planning on doing
> this anyway once I get my webserver up and running, but I will be selling
> them without windows, I actually want to sell them to the public with
> Ubuntu.
> I am happy to get them to drop ship it to you, I'll put the prices below.
> A couple points though their range is due for an update in the next few
> weeks, and I haven't personally tested/used any of these laptops yet, I
> don't have the money, but I am saving.
>
> www.twinhead.com.au
>
> Stylebook 10d: $1910ex gst
> Intel Centrino 1.2ghz, 512mb ddr333(up to 2gb), 80gb HD, DVDRW, 4-in-1
> card reader, integrated lan and modem, 10.6" WXGA screen. 1.47kg
>
> Stylebook 12d: $1480 ex gst
> Intel Centrino 1.73Ghz CPU (533Mhz), 1.78Kg, 4 in 1 MS Pro/MS/MMC/SD Card
> Reader, 512MB DDR 333 (Up to 2Gb DDR 333), DVDRW Dual Burner, 60GB Hard
> Disk, 12.1" TFT XGA Display
>
> Efio 12ktl: $920
> AMD Sempron 2800+(Low Voltage 25W)
> Slim & Lightweight Design: Only 1.8Kg
> 256MB DDR 333 (Up to 1Gb DDR 333)
> 40GB Hard Disk
> Built in DVD+CDRW Combo Drive
> Built in Wireless Network Connection 802.11b/g
> Magnesium Alloy Base
> 12.1" TFT XGA Display
> Comes with their own outdated version of Linux
>
> Durabook 14k: $1300 ex gst
> AMD Turion 64Bit-MT32, 1.8Ghz CPU (Low Voltage 25W)
> Built-In Wireless LAN ABG (802.11a/b/g)
> 512Mb DDR 333 (Up to 1Gb DDR 333)
> 60GB Hard Disk (Vibration Torlerance)
> Built-in DVDRW Dual Drive
> PASS SPILL PROOF KB & DROP & SHOCK TEST
> Military Standard 810F Approved!
> 14.1" TFT Screen (1024 x 768) Display
>
> Durabook R15d: $1490 ex gst
> Intel Centrino Technology with P-M 1.73Ghz Sonoma CPPU
> Intel 915GM Chipset (533Mhz FSB)
> Intel Pro/Wireless 2915 ABG (802.11a/b/g)
> 512Mb DDR 333 (Up to 2Gb DDR 333)
> 60GB Hard Disk (Vibration Torlerance)
> Built in DVDRW Dual Drive
> PASS SPILL PROOF KB & DROP & SHOCK TEST
> Military Standard 810F Approved!
> 15.1" TFT Screen (1024 x 768) Display
>

> Regards
> Morgan
>

> On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 23:58 +1000, Andrew wrote:
>
> Howdy all,
> I have decided that I need to get a laptop in the near future and ideally I don't want to be purchasing a copy of something I do not need.
>  From what I have read this is damn near impossible for laptops, but I thought I would ask on the off chance that some new offering had reared it's head.
> So if anyone can point me to a laptop supplies in Aus that sells laptops without MS I would love to hear about them.
> Cheers,
> Andrew Swinn (Phlosten)

Bohdan
bohdan.s at gmail.com

(Peace, Love and All that Hippy Bullcrap. -The Management)