Etiquette comment and question

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Sat Jun 17 09:22:08 BST 2006

On Saturday 17 June 2006 17:38, Elaine de Saxe <coolowl at hotkey.net.au> wrote:
> The setup with AppleMail (I'm using OSX - one day Ubuntu but not just
> now) means without any fiddling at all, if I hit 'reply' I get the
> posting address. Mind you I also get the whole of the digest which I
> have to edit out, but that's a setting I have put into Mail's Prefs.

If you hit "Reply" to a message that has a "Reply-To" header, the message will
be addressed to the address given in that header, not the list. This is why I
dislike the use of Reply-To on mailing lists.

> And I have a question, too ... I thought I had a good grasp of
> Netiquette but apparently not. Would you mind explaining what 'top
> post' and 'bottom post' is? I make the guess it's where the quote is
> placed. Etiquette aside, I've got used to reading both and it doesn't
> matter at all. What *does* matter (not on this list!) is the posters
> who quote, re-quote and quote again without editing. Now that really
> does set my teeth on edge!

You can find a good summary at Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting

Bottom-posting means that you are replying below the previous message.
Conversely, top-posting implies that the response is above the previous
message.

I prefer to bottom-post (as can be seen in this e-mail), unless I am quoting a
discussion that uses top-posting. Consistency is important as well.

> Reading the rest of the digest I see there is a comment about
> starting threads. I've lost the plot with that in an effort to have a
> clear subject line - the try and describe what I'm covering in the post.

As Ben has shown us, it's best to create a new message when starting a new
topic. Replying to a message and removing the Subject and Body does not
remove it from the thread.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan  [Yama | http://www.pclinuxonline.com/]
  {GnuPG/OpenPGP: http://dhanapalan.webhop.net/yama.asc

"Windows operations still involves too many reboots. ... [A] service may be
hung, and rather than take the time to find and fix the problem, it is often
more convenient to reboot. By contrast, UNIX administrators are conditioned
to quickly identify the failing service and simply restart it; they are
helped in this by the greater transparency of UNIX and the small number of
interdependencies."
	- Microsoft, 'Converting a UNIX .COM Site to Windows', 2000-22-08