Etiquette comment and question

Elaine de Saxe coolowl at hotkey.net.au
Sat Jun 17 08:38:14 BST 2006

Good evening again ...

The setup with AppleMail (I'm using OSX - one day Ubuntu but not just
now) means without any fiddling at all, if I hit 'reply' I get the
posting address. Mind you I also get the whole of the digest which I
have to edit out, but that's a setting I have put into Mail's Prefs.

When I join a new list, I add the posting address to the address book
so there's no more need to type anything.

There's also an option to have a 'Reply-To' header, I have turned
that one off. Nor have I selected 'Reply to all' in the toolbar
icons. Some mailers have these options, others don't.

And I have a question, too ... I thought I had a good grasp of
Netiquette but apparently not. Would you mind explaining what 'top
post' and 'bottom post' is? I make the guess it's where the quote is
placed. Etiquette aside, I've got used to reading both and it doesn't
matter at all. What *does* matter (not on this list!) is the posters
who quote, re-quote and quote again without editing. Now that really
does set my teeth on edge!

Reading the rest of the digest I see there is a comment about
starting threads. I've lost the plot with that in an effort to have a
clear subject line - the try and describe what I'm covering in the post.

Elaine in Brisbane