APC Article and Thanks

Andrew Vaughan ajv-lists at netspace.net.au
Mon Aug 7 14:25:26 BST 2006

Hi

On Monday 07 August 2006 22:37, Tate Johnson wrote:
> Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> > On Monday 07 August 2006 22:10, Jeff Waugh <jdub at perkypants.org> wrote:
> >> <quote who="Ben Duivesteyn">

> >> How about scanning it and letting sounder / ubuntu-marketing know? :-)
> >
> > Would that be a breach of copyright? We should not be biting the hand
> > that feeds.
>
> No, AFAIK you're legally permitted to copy 10% of a published magazine.
> Therefore, it should be quite alright. That said, I might go and pick up
> a copy tomorrow anyway. I was given quite a few old issues of APC and
> it'll do nicely to my collection.

Standard disclaimer.  IANAL, TINLA.

I thought that the 10% guideline was for reproduction for personal use, not
for mass distribution.

I would recommend asking before posting such an article on the web.  Or
letting ubuntu-marketing ask, they probably have a standard letter that
covers all the bases.

APC might be fine with you/ubuntu distributing a one page article, provided
that the source is properly credited.  It is free marketing for them.
Alternatively they may prefer that we link the article on their site.

Cheers
Andrew V.