Problems with my Ubuntu Box

Cefiar cef at optus.net
Tue Aug 1 15:37:44 BST 2006

On Tuesday 01 August 2006 22:54, David Whyte wrote:
> Would it be easy to replace the mobo and just boot from the same
> installation of Ubuntu, or would a full reinstall be required?

Ubuntu should work with a new mobo just fine assuming that the kernel has
drivers. Since the same kernel is used for most systems, you should be fine.

Caveats:
 If you've installed a different kernel apart from the -386 one, and you
change processor types on upgrade, you may have issues. Simply install a -386
kernel before you replace stuff. I tend to leave a -386 kernel installed
somewhere for just this reason, particularly on important boxes.
 Any manual configuration you have performed relating to hardware may cause
problems. If you've done anything specific you may want to back this out till
you've upgraded.
 X will probably need to be reconfigured, unless you use the same type of
video card and monitor.

That said, you can always boot a liveCD and then use that to make changes to
your existing install to get it running (eg: changing kernel, copying the X
config generated by the liveCD, etc).

 Stuart Young - aka Cefiar - cef at optus.net