[ubuntu-art] Free Culture Showcase

Ivanka Majic ivanka.majic at canonical.com
Tue Jan 25 11:44:57 UTC 2011

On 25/01/11 11:27, ?????? wrote:
> Looks like we're facing duplication of effort again: we have two
> different Ubuntu wallpaper contests. The first one is
> http://design.canonical.com/2011/01/bright-light-and-beautiful/, I saw
> John Baer's proposal linked to it somewhere (and it seems reasonable
> to me, but I'm sure it's better to discuss that specification with
> Iain Farrell first). The other one is Free Culture Showcase, which
> requires submissions to be freedom-themed. It's probably OK to have
> two different wallpaper contests if they have such a different rules
> and themes, but that must be clearly stated in the projects list at least.
I chatted to Thorsten and Martin about this (well, they brought it up
with me as I clearly wasn't paying enough attention to detail) and I
wanted to leave it a bit more open - not sure if I will live to regret
it. We could just make the Ubuntu Free Culture Showcase about video and
music but if I were a budding illustrator I would want people like Peter
Grundy to look at my work, for example.

Traditionally we have had very few contributions to the Free Culture
Showcase so we decided to run the Wallpaper competition in parallel as
that has run very well but this is the first time we are explicitly
seeking illustrative wallpapers so I see this as an opportunity to widen
the net!

Thoughts?

--
Ivanka Majic'