[ubuntu-art] IMPORTANT : Natty illustration wallpaper submissions group

John Baer baerjj at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 16:49:52 UTC 2011

2011/2/21 Leandro Gómez <leo.telsen at gmail.com>

> On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 10:21 AM, John Baer <baerjj at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 10:55 AM, Saleel Velankar <svelanka at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> John,
>>>
>>> Respectfully I add that once again the overwhelming conversation has been
>>> about organizing art, instead of art. It is pointless, boring, and lately
>>> highly divisive. We have already lost a team member that I highly respected.
>>> Arguing over flickr groups accomplishes nothing. absolutely nothing. Just PM
>>> the artists that have contributing to this other group. I have still not
>>> seen *any* valid argument from you as to why that group was still active
>>> after the illustration announcement; and why these PMs weren't already sent
>>> after vish's email.
>>>
>>> you know what, I typed all that but my original feeling was correct.
>>> Until this sort of nonsense is tuned down in this group, I don't think I
>>> will be actively contributing.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Saleel (Inactive)
>>>

>>> --
>>>

>> Saleel,
>>

> John,
>

>> I agree with you but from a different point of view. My contributions to
>> this group did not happen out of thin air. I invested countless hours in my
>> best attempts to add value to Ubuntu and the community and I like you grow
>> tired of the "rants" and the "flames". More so I have personally asked folks
>> to join and share their talents and to close their eyes and ears to the
>> behavior of late.
>>
>> There are 38 submissions to the "Ubuntu Wallpapers - General
>> Illustrations" group and some of these illustrations have thousands of
>> views. I can certainly ask them to resubmit to the other group but I can not
>> hide the perception the reason seems petty.
>>

> Can we all agree on:
>
> * PM the artists asking them to submit their artwork to the official
> ubuntu-artwork group
> * Close the uawt-10-0 group
>
> Cheers,
>

>> Sadly I know there will come a time when planning will begin on Natty +1
>> and I anticipate the question will be asked why is it so difficult to get
>> folks to participate.
>>
>> The lesson learned is here.
>>
>> With respect to your talent and your contributions.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> John
>>
>> --

I believe the best I can do is to post a message advising them of the
change. I can not close the group as long as there are submissions and there
are links.

This is the approach I took with the Edubuntu group but as you can see
submissions continued.

Sadly and with out a doubt folks will walk away with a bitter taste in their
mouth and these folks are respected contributors to the greater artwork
community.

Kind regards,

John