[ubuntu-art] OpenShot - Ubuntu Promo Video Remix

Leandro Gómez leo.telsen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 20:46:24 GMT 2010

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 1:56 PM, Ivanka Majic <ivanka.majic at canonical.com>wrote:

>  On 30/11/10 17:51, j_baer wrote:
>
> Ivanka Majic wrote:
>

>  The original video was purposefully light and think that the music you
> have chosen, while a lovely track in it's own right, flattens the
> experience and makes it heavy. I also think you could do more with the
> intro and exit sequences. "Discover computing as it should be" is quite
> a nice line but what is the idea you are trying to portray? Black is all
> very hard, heavy and serious; is that Ubuntu?
>
> Ivanka
>

>  Ivanka
>
> What I liked most about the music is the title and the way the tempo matched
> the cadence of the promo video. The video clip convey's a great message and
> the Design Team did a nice job putting it together.
>

>  I love that you took what was there and worked on it to make it more. I
> think this is a really interesting idea and that if you take the time to
> explore a little what values the video already has you could make it so much
> more. Now that the tool has been mastered, the exploration can commence! Do
> you think that the video is more about a tune like this:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4FaGacwtd4 - that it is how I see it:
> light, dynamic, fun, friendly, happy! It moves with bounce and energy -
> Ubuntu is clever enough that it doesn't have to take itself too seriously.
> The pictograms have some of that: they are constrained within a circle, they
> are clever but they are approachable. The pictograms you have explored for
> the Artwork logo reflect that work - is there something you could borrow
> from that?

Hey!

We shamelessly borrowed the concept (and some of the animations) from the
Design Team video and made a promo for the Ubuntu Nicaragua LoCo Team. You
can see the final product here:

http://ubuntu.org.ni/somos-ubuntu

The song we used is 'Meboo' by Pitx:

http://ccmixter.org/files/Pitx/12298

> What do you think about writing a blog post about how to use OpenShot?
> Perhaps we could work on a mood board for the video together and then you
> could include that in the blog post by way of setting out a challenge for
> people? There could be a visual and a sound mood board. Maybe we could find
> some Creative Commons tunes here that we could use?
> http://soundcloud.com/groups/ubuntu-free-culture-showcase

If there's something I personally would love to see is the Design Team
taking more advantage of all the (excellent) free and open media resources
out there. There are great musicians who license their work under permissive
licenses that would be absolutely thrilled to collaborate with Canonical and
the Ubuntu Project.

Cheers,