[ubuntu-art] Edubuntu Wallpaper

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Sun Nov 21 12:25:19 GMT 2010

On Sat, 2010-11-20 at 19:14 -0500, Hrafn Nordhri wrote:

> They suggest that we can use colours from images of narwhals, then there
> is a small pallet of three colours, (...)

You refer to:
"The theme of this release is Natty Narwhal. Inspiration can be taken
from the colors of the Narwhal and the environment in which it lives."

I think those 2 sentences shouldn't be there. The narwhal has nothing to
do with what Edubuntu (or Xubuntu) are about and this would be in
conflict with palette choices of Edubuntu in the past, too.

Offering release-codename inspired artwork to the community is fine.
It's even something to consider for alpha releases. But it's only
acceptable for the default artwork of any flavor, if the animal artwork
happens to support the desired message and tone. Otherwise it's just a
random topic, where you could go with "mellow mushrooms" as well ;)

> Also, could someone offer an example of what they are meaning with this
> statement "The desired result will be an image which embraces the
> "light" Ubuntu design concept"?

See http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/308
I would drop the statement. It's not clear enough what it is about and
why should Edubuntu care about the Light scheme of Ubuntu?

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/