[ubuntu-art] Screenshots @ Ubuntu.com

Ivanka Majic ivanka.majic at canonical.com
Wed Nov 17 10:25:38 GMT 2010

Thanks Thorsten.

On 17/11/10 09:20, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-11-17 at 08:17 +0000, Ivanka Majic wrote:
>
>> The wiki page is somewhat off the mark but I didn't want to edit
>> without discussing with you why. When might you be available for an IRC
>> chat?
> The LP report:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/buttons/+bug/673488
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Specs/Request-4
> seems to ask for the design of a screenshots.ubuntu.com service from
> scratch, but the site exists already and I assume it's fully
> functional(?).
Indeed.
> The code exists, the site runs, the interaction is given (?).
> What's open is layout and styling.
Yes.
> Unclear points from the report:
> Why would we want to reflect the relationship between Debian and Ubuntu
> here?
This was something I put in because I don't know enough about the
current site and, if I had the time to pick this up I would discuss it
with the person who hosts the site. There is obviously a reason that the
debian branding is currently present so I wouldn't want to presume it
can simply be removed.

At no point in the Launchpad bug do I suggest that this is a Canonical
site. We are happily using the current site for the screenshots in the
Software Centre. It would be great if the site itself were given some
design assistance. Richard Lee, on my team, has been looking at the
implications of simply applying available css as a first pass.

Separately, I think it would be enormously beneficial to the project and
the apps available on the platform if we could encourage more
screenshots - which is why I suggested a campaign of some sort - but, if
we are looking at the site to apply visual updates this might be a good
opportunity to review the upload user experience and see if there are
any improvements to be made.

Ivanka

--
Ivanka Majic'