[ubuntu-art] Lubuntu style: how light can it be?

Shawn Thompson superfox436 at gmail.com
Wed May 19 22:51:45 BST 2010

On 19/05/2010 11:28 AM, Julien Lavergne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Lubuntu is designed for very low hardware specs, including very old and
> unusual graphic chipsets. So every bits which increase the CPU or memory
> usage need to be useful.
> I'm not an expert of the gtk engine, but could you point me the advances
> of the cairo-based gtk engines ?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Best regards,
> Julien Lavergne
>
> Le samedi 08 mai 2010 à 10:00 -0600, Shawn Thompson a écrit :
>
>> For Lubuntu, I know we're trying to make it light but elegant, which led
>> me to think of an idea; how well do Cairo-based GTK engines run on the
>> kind of computers we're aiming at with Lubuntu? I had an idea of maybe
>> using a lighter GTK engine for the theme, although right now the theme
>> I'm working on for Lubuntu is a modification of the Radiance theme from
>> the main Gnome version, and I'm aiming for a kind of icy/frost-type look.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> p.s. (and yes, I am the Viper550 from back in the day, had to switch my
>> email address due to a change of ISP/province/etc)

The cairo-based engines take advantage of the cairo rendering engine, a
vector-based 2D graphics library that can support hardware acceleration.
However, it is said Cairo is now built-in on GTK as of 2005, so I'm
starting to not see much of a difference.

For my GTK theme, I ended up using default "gummy" Clearlooks with
Industrial's tabs...