[ubuntu-art] Ubuntu Jersey's

Trey Ethridge tethridge at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 18:53:20 GMT 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 1:04 PM, Thorsten Wilms <t_w_ at freenet.de> wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-03-05 at 09:57 -0500, Trey Ethridge wrote:
>
> > If I don't get any help from the community, I'm going to have to raise
> > money and hire a professional artist.  If you have an interest in this
> > project, please let me know.
>
> You mentioning the possibility to hire someone makes me less willing to
> do it for free.

I'm not trying to be deceptive.  I have no money for this project.  If I
can't get some help from the community, then I'm going to need to try and
get Canonical to contribute or factor the design of the jerseys into the
price, which are already pretty expensive.  I'm doing this for charity.  I'm
hoping that somebody in the community will contribute to help spread the
Ubuntu message.  :-)

> It's a good thing nobody has been on this, because we only now know of
> the new logo and look for Ubuntu. The definite colors are not even
> defined/public, there's no vector file of the outlines available.

I agree.  I'm glad that this design hasn't been started yet.

> >         Ubuntu has a unique mascot for each release.  My thought was
> >         that we would design a jersey that incorporated the mascots of
> >         our releases.
>
> >         The jersey could include the current supported releases or we
> >         could try to incorporate them all.
>
> Adding all the mascots would lead to a clusterfuck.
>
> The lynx as a cat could be nice, sporty and all. But would you really
> want to tie the jerseys to a specific release? You should open your mind
> to simple and abstract designs, it needs to work even though *woosh* ...
> there goes the cyclist.

I'm cool with having the jersey linked to a release.  It's an LTS, so it
will be valid for several years.  By the time it is no longer supported, I'm
hoping that we would have new jerseys.  Plus, it's a lynx!

I'm also fine with abstract designs.  I'm open to all ideas.  I just gave
the example of the mascots as an idea.  I would just like more than the
Ubuntu jerseys on the wiki page I reference.

> >         I've picked out a company to print our jerseys.  They require
> >         that the design be in the SVG format.  Here is a link to the
> >         templates that they recommend using when designing.
>
> Strange. I read Illustrator or Corel Draw format.
>
> I may be wrong about SVG, but that is basically what Illustrator produces.

> They require their own logo to be on the artwork. Nasty.

I agree.  I would prefer to not have their logo on there, but they have the
best rates for small batches.  It is pretty hard to get people to shell out
$100 for jerseys.  The less I have to sell the better.  If we have more
demand, we can print them.

Thanks for the feed back.  Are you interested?