[ubuntu-art] Please complete our survey

wouter Vandenneucker woutervddn at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 14 15:39:23 GMT 2010

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 21:30:00 +0000, Ivanka Majic <ivanka.majic at canonical.com> wrote:

Hello everyone,

Please can you take the time to fill in this survey?
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/36WWXCF
It will probably take about 15 minutes to complete and, the more detail

you include the better!

Best,

Ivanka

15 minutes indeed, that was quiet a long survey.. :p
Anyways. I read the question about: "How do find out about new projects?" Now I've looked at this question and compared all ways I ever found out about a project, theirwhere three: IRC, website/wiki, ML.
I found that non would be a perfect solution. Especially for big groups they all have their downsides:
* A website or wiki (whitout a reminder in the ML or IRC) allways has a lack of notification.
Therefor it isn't a good idea as many people will forget to check for it.
* IRC is the way I usually find out about projects of Ubuntu-be.
But we have only a small core of members and every real decision is made via the IRC channel. (Or at least clarified via IRC)
That's why we have an IRC meeting every week. But when you are with +200 members the IRC would be to bulky, also with the timezones and stuff not even half of all people would get to the IRC meetings.
* So the only other solution is the ML. Especially for big groups of people this is a nice way to communicate.
It rules out the need of being online at the same time, everyone checks their mails so will be notified and you are sure everyone gets the info he needs.

But there is a problem with the ML. When posting reports of meetings or guidelines or whatever there isn't really a problem, as long everything is clear that is.
And lets face it, not everything is clear all the time. People have questions about details, there has to be some chatting to get every1 on the same track.

The ML isn't a sufficient way to do that:
In an IRC message you can chat quite fast about something but on an ML it takes days to get something solved.
With 9 projects running currently and different questions going for each project you get either a dozen mails a day or just 2 message1...10 mails. Something like:
1. Re: Alternate Natty Wallpaper Proposal (Thorsten Wilms)
2. Re: Alternate Natty Wallpaper Proposal (John Baer)
6. Re: Alternate Natty Wallpaper Proposal (Thorsten Wilms)
7. Re: Alternate Natty Wallpaper Proposal (Vishnoo)
8. Please complete our survey (Ivanka Majic)

isn't always that clear.

So after thinking everything true I personally think that in an ideal situation for Ubuntu-Artwork:
- IRC meetings provide answer to big concerns
- reports of the meetings are send via the ML
- proposals and new project approvals are announced in the ML
- each project has his own landing page on the wiki (as it is now) [but with a subscribe to sub-ML button]
- each project has his own sub-ML regarding only things about that project (so you don't get bothered with questions about project that don't interest you)
- each landing page has a log of the sub-ML messages (so people joining later can get a good overview about what has been said).

I'd love to know how you guys think about this!
[yes I know this will make the ML even more full of things no-one wants to read]

PS: I loved the survey, I hope a lot of useful information can be gathered from it.

kind regards

woutervddn