[ubuntu-art] Xubuntu Context

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Sat Dec 11 13:21:09 GMT 2010

On Fri, 2010-12-10 at 00:00 +0100, Simon Steinbeiß wrote:

>  Hi everyone, I'm currently working on the theme for Natty (links and
>  some info to be found here:
>  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Artwork/Natty). (...)
>
>  First I think that it would be helpful to have some palette, even if
>  only for inspiration. I have worked on the palette for greybird for
>  some time, I wouldn't say it's written in stone, but I don't think I'd
>  like to change it drastically. Up to now I've only gotten very little
>  specific feedback, so that would be one thing I'd appreciate. Please
>  be as specific as you can be, stuff like "it looks dull" isn't very
>  helpful/constructive criticism :)

I installed Xfce, the Greybird theme and Faenza-Xfce on my Ubuntu. I had
to rename (hide) my ~/.gtkrc-2.0 to get rid of some leftovers of the
Ambience theme in the panel and widget theme.

I guess the panel might end up looking different in an Xubuntu install,
but this is far as I will go to take screenshots, now.

Using my background-context-extractor tool resulted in:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Specs/0007_Xubuntu_Natty_Wallpaper?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=xfce_greybird_2010-12-11_1280x1024_context_desktop.png
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Specs/0007_Xubuntu_Natty_Wallpaper?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=xfce_greybird_2010-12-11_1280x1024_context_desktop.png
(Opening in a browser will not show that these have transparent
background.)

The icon labels on the desktop depend on the chosen background and the
screenshot approach can't replicate this.

Remember, we want to express high performance, the kind you get by
making the most of what you have, lightweight and clever.

The Greybird theme as is seems quite appropriate to me under this
aspects. Its fairly neutral tones leave much room for the wallpaper.

You could dare to use a more energetic color for selections, also
increasing the contrast for the text of selected items.

The step from the head (title and menu-bar) to the window background
color is not nice. There should be either no visible step, or a clearly
intended difference.

The difference in contrast between focused window titles and menu text
seems odd to me. Focused vs unfocused is a bit subtle.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/