[ubuntu-art] [Breathe] Additions to "Categories"

Ryan Henningsen xryancat at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 22:06:05 GMT 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Cory K. <coryisatm at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Ryan Prior wrote:
> > 2009/3/26 Chris Tooley <euxneks at gmail.com>
> >
> >> I like how Apple handles their windows logo. It's reminiscent of Windows
> >> without infringing on their copyright or trademarks. For example, I
> copied
> >> it to use for a VirtualMachine link on my desktop:
> >>
> http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Boot+Camp+Logo+SVG?content=56439
> >>
> >> Obviously it's not that popular ;) but I thought maybe this could be an
> >> idea starter.. :)
> >
> > That inspired me to make this. It is not yet in the style of Breathe, but
> it
> > is already better than the Wine icon IMO.
> >

> Generally, I like it, but this is where my "upstream branding" worries
> come into play.
>
> Ok. I'll make a command decision here and say the icon for this *must*
> be a wine glass similar to the one upstream WINE ships. Regardless of
> what people think the transparent glass (it could always have some white
> tint to it or something) will look like on darker menus.
>

> -Cory K.

You should note companies are required by law to protect their IP,
Trademarks, and other marks or they risk forfeiting them.

So using the "wavy" Window logo would definitely be copyright infringement
as would using the colors from it in the style shown above. But if you are
trying to show a relationship to the Window's OS, creating a generic window
icon with Ubuntu themed colors would be well within your rights because it
is a parody.

Microsoft doesn't hold a copyright on all icons that look like windows just
like Apple doesn't have a copyright on all icons that look like apples.

Icons are used to express ideas, actions, and they should be immediately
recognizable. Ubuntu is marketed as a Linux distro for everyone and no one
new to Linux will know that the program they want is next to the Wine glass.
And when they figure it out, they'll still be wondering why it's a wine
glass.

They will, however, immediately recognize the "window" icon and relate it to
the "Start" button and know that's where their programs are.

Besides if Apple was in the wrong Microsoft wouldn't have missed the chance
to roast them.