[ubuntu-art] Breathe PPA

Andrew SB a.starr.b at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 20:28:03 BST 2009

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 6:45 PM, Andrew SB<a.starr.b at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 6:08 PM, Kenneth Wimer<kwwii at ubuntu.com> wrote:

>>> I don't use any direct work from him. Only the idea. We should give him
>>> a shout out anyway.
>>
>> To be honest, unless you have plans to make big bucks on this stuff I would
>> assign copyright as broadly as needed amongst known open source
>> advocates/artists. As long as the original material is in line with your
>> licensing, why not? (if some part of their work did indeed make it into
>> yours)
>>
>>> Any metadata in the SVGs I added because I thought it would be fun to
>>> use. Turns out, nobody cared.
>>
>> Lol, no doubt. It only adds value as an additional copyright notice for the
>> actual author(s). In the end, you can do this via the AUTHORS file as well
>> as the COPYRIGHT, etc.
>
> Getting all the licensing / copyright in order can be a bit tedious,
> but not having it right is the main reason why packages get rejected
> in NEW. Getting everything straightened out for gnome-colors was a
> real hassle, as the icons in that set come from a few different
> sources.
>
> I fixed the metadata in the svg's. As they all use the same template
> it was painless. For the record here is the command I ran:
>
> find . -type f -name *.svg | xargs sed -i -e "s/by-nc-sa/by-sa/g"

>>> I think I mention the team. Kenneth, if you could, please look through
>>> the packaging branch and see if things fit your idea of how they should
>>> be. Credit and what not.
>>
>> To be honest, I wouldn't definitely notice, off the bat, if some small part
>> is being copied and to be even more honest, I doubt we would raise a fuss in
>> any case unless of course you step on the toes of an oxygen core member by
>> attributing something he did as your own (so don't even think of trying to
>> earn money on it without following the licensing, which is in line in both
>> packages. If it came down to a situation in which a breathe icon became
>> amazingly famous but was really based on an oxygen icon I am sure we could
>> work something out...this isn't about becoming a super-star or something :p

>>> Actually he did his in ruby and ours is python. Ours is based on
>>> something someone just threw up at some point. I'll look around to see
>>> if I can track it down again but our script has come so far Im unsure
>>> what's from the original.
>>
>> true, so I guess you don't need to mention him...I did not realize that it
>> was different :p

Just to wrap up this discussion, as I said above I removed all the
references to the license being NC from the svg meta-data. That was
really the only blocker to having the archive-admins accept the
package that I could see. I also just pushed a few other little fixes,
including adding the Oxygen team to debian/copyright, cause really why
not?

Anyways, the packaging seems about ready for release. Should we wait
for 0.50? What's the time frame for that?

 - Andrew