[ubuntu-art] Nine

Alex Armstrong alehandrof at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 19:38:19 GMT 2009

On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 18:29 -0800, Dylan McCall wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 00:15 +0000, Alex Armstrong wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I've been working on a GTK+ theme for a few months now. I just posted it
> > on the wiki and I'd like to let you know. (So you can tell me what you
> > think.)
> >
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Nine
> >
> > Sorry about the terrible wiki page. It took me the better part of an
> > hour just to get the thing up.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Alex
> >
> > P.S. Although I've been lurking on the list for some time now I don't
> > think I've ever posted. I am more active on gnome-look.org where I go
> > by
> > the username paraboy.
> >

> I love it, Alex! Clean, simple and VERY consistent. Nothing totally out
> of the ordinary, so it isn't breaking anything and it isn't capable of
> hurting peoples' eyes. I like that it isn't shiny, and particularly your
> reasoning for that choice :)
> This would be a good progression for the regular Human theme.
>

> Thanks,
> -Dylan

My feeling on shiny widgets is that you should either implement them or
you should not. Vista and OS X are examples of the former, Nine is an
example of the later.

I find the half-hearted sheen on the default Human theme very
distracting: when I mouse over the button the increased brightness
washes over the top half of the glaze, making the button look lopsided.
It's an exaggeration to say that this distortion of the button always
startles me, but I can't think of a more accurate way to describe what
my mental response is.

I tried to explore this problem in my theme Murrina Quiet, but I am not
myself very much impressed with the results. What I came up with looks
very much like Vista. (I eventually gave in to temptation and decided to
see how closely I could model the Vista button in the murrine engine.)

Alex