[ubuntu-art] Karmic boot and login - proposed designs

mac_v drkvi-a at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 10 16:09:15 BST 2009

Mat Tomaszewski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Not so long ago we announced the revamp of boot and login experiences in
> Ubuntu and received a great response from the Artwork Team, with many
> interesting concepts being submitted. Thanks again for all your hard work.
>
> The deadline approaches fast and the time is now to make final
> decisions. We have just returned from the Platform Sprint in Dublin,
> where folks directly responsible for making Ubuntu release happen on
> time have gathered. The design team's role was to propose final
> concepts, communicate them to the developers and make sure they can be
> implemented on time. We have received a lot of valuable feedback and
> revised our proposals accordingly.
>
> The initial assumptions, however, remain unchanged. The Foundations
> Team's goal is to start the X server as fast as possible (3-4 seconds on
> a reference machine) and therefore, Usplash will not be used in most
> cases. A new splash screen (Xsplash) will be developed on top of the X
> server and enable a smooth  transition into the GDM and the user session.
>
> The latest designs can be viewed here:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Karmic/Boot/Demo. We're looking
> forward to your feedback!
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Mat

Hi,
Seems a lot of the good ideas on the wiki were not picked up...

Anyways, just constructive criticism:
1- the lack of the progress bar , will be difficult to know when the
system loading will be finished.[IMO this is a *regression* , other OS
may not have the progressbar but we had a good feature!]
   the presence of the progress bar actually shows off the good work
done in reducing the boot time, you can visually see the boot is quicker
than Jaunty and _shows off the speed_ of Ubuntu .[which other OS lack!]

2- the color of the background is dull , pls choose a more vibrant color.

cheers,
mac_v