[ubuntu-art] Karmic boot and login - proposed designs

Mat Tomaszewski mat.tomaszewski at canonical.com
Mon Aug 10 14:55:43 BST 2009

Hi,

Not so long ago we announced the revamp of boot and login experiences in
Ubuntu and received a great response from the Artwork Team, with many
interesting concepts being submitted. Thanks again for all your hard work.

The deadline approaches fast and the time is now to make final
decisions. We have just returned from the Platform Sprint in Dublin,
where folks directly responsible for making Ubuntu release happen on
time have gathered. The design team's role was to propose final
concepts, communicate them to the developers and make sure they can be
implemented on time. We have received a lot of valuable feedback and
revised our proposals accordingly.

The initial assumptions, however, remain unchanged. The Foundations
Team's goal is to start the X server as fast as possible (3-4 seconds on
a reference machine) and therefore, Usplash will not be used in most
cases. A new splash screen (Xsplash) will be developed on top of the X
server and enable a smooth  transition into the GDM and the user session.

The latest designs can be viewed here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Karmic/Boot/Demo. We're looking
forward to your feedback!

Many thanks,