[ubuntu-art] karmic koala art background

Steve Dodier sidnioulz at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 10:05:17 BST 2009

Bret,

I don't want to be a killjoy, but artwork included in the community art
packages has to meet some requirements. As far as i recall, those for
wallpapers are the following (you can check
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Documentation/Backgrounds anyways):

- resolution up to 2560x1600.
- file format : PNG or SVG

Currently, you're showing us 1024x768 JPG files, with a very very bad
rendering quality, and the koala you use on it is already extremely blur, i
just don't think the quality of the original image is good enough for making
a wallpaper out of it.

Also, when picking colours for your wallpapers, you have to be aware of two
things:

- some colours render well on some screens and horribly on other ones, esp.
LCD screens which have a lesser colour range.
- artwork meant to be designed for a particular release is usually based on
this release's colour palette (eventhough we still didn't receive any
information from Canonical concerning Karmic artwork, this probably being
the main reason why people are not focusing on it yet).

Also, I'm sorry to say it, but a melt of fuschia, red and lime green just
looks horrible on my screen. I think you should work with a much lesser
colour range, for instance two main colours, that fit well with each other,
and only adding a little bit of darkness / ligthness here and there to
obtain colour variations. There is an excellent app that helps you to pick
colours with a particular difference of shade / saturation : Agave.

I really wish to see you focusing on one idea and working on it till you get
the best out of it. This is a much more efficient approach than trying a lot
of ideas without sometimes taking the time to explore them.

Cordially, SD.