[ubuntu-art] Let the disappointments begin?

vs at pb.cz vs at pb.cz
Wed Oct 1 14:18:02 BST 2008

> On 30/09/2008, Eric Appleman <erappleman at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> If we keep bitching and moaning, then we might as well deserve to be
>> stuck with Human (Murrine) as our default.
>>

>> - Eric
>>

>> --
>>

> There's a point where bitching and moaning becomes unproductive. But at
> the
> same time, realizing that Ubuntu has received a lot of hype regarding the
> new theme for probably a year now, and you don't let something like that
> get
> so hyped up and then expect everyone not to notice when you don't fulfill
> the expectation.
>
> Every single article, review and assessment of Ubuntu lately have promoted
> the idea that we would be receiving a new theme soon, and that hype is
> something that Ubuntu and Canonical have benefitted from. It's something
> we've all benefitted from as Ubuntu users.
>
> And all this time, not one officially affiliated Ubuntu/Canonical
> community
> member has disputed the introduction of the new theme in Intrepid. Hype,
> publicity and media is a dangerous thing and can backfire on you very
> easily. I personally think it would be a very bad PR move by
> Canonical/Ubuntu not to come through on the new theme, since it is
> dangerous
> to mismanage your users expectations so badly.
>
> You or I may be able to say, whatever, I'll install my own theme. But I'm
> not sure that I can promote and advocate a product with which I personally
> am unhappy how my own expectations have been managed.
>
> I personally am very much hoping though, that this is a ballsy PR move,
> and
> that they're going to wait till everyone's completely up in arms about it,
> and then come through with a winning move. If that's the case, risky, but
> respect since they're taking the game to another level :P
>
> Alex

Hello,

first short introduction, because this is my first post in this conference.
My name is Vit Svarc, I am 27 years old and I am from Czech Republic.I
suppose as everybody here, I love Ubuntu.

Now tho the topic - I can agree. I signed up into this conference, because
I was curios, how the new theme will look like. I couldn't find any
offical information about this.
I am watching all discussions since two weeks, and I have to say that I am
very confused, what is happening here.
I thought that three weeks before final release, there has to be something
done, and only small bugs will be fixed before final release.