[ubuntu-art] Documenting Murrine for a Jaunty Theme

Jake Tolbert crazybilly at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 18:52:46 GMT 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 12:03 PM, John Baer <baerjj at gmail.com> wrote:

> Reviewing many of the submissions on the topic of "theme engines" has left
> me with the impression many feel Murrine is the desired theme engine but its
> adoption is constrained by the lack of documentation.
>
> If this assumption is true I'm up for helping as I have a theme I am
> considering for Jaunty which could use Murrine as the primary theme engine.
>
> My understanding is Cimi has checked out for awhile to devote more time to
> his education (very important). If this is true is the engine being
> maintained by others?
>
> In many respects I am starting at ground zero so I would like to look
> at Murrine based themes which do a good job of demonstrating it's features.
>
> Someone posted a link to this list a few months ago of a Murrine only theme
> which looked good but I have not located that post.  I have the "Dust" theme
> to review and I can always go to "Gnome-look" or "Ubuntu-art" for others.
>
> Once I become better informed on what as been done I will begin crafting my
> theme and writing documentation on how I was able to achieve the desired
> results with this engine. The theme and the documentation will be available
> to all. :)
>
> Is this a good idea, may I have some links to Murrine themes which show off
> what the engine can do?
>
> If this is not a good idea that is Ok as well.
>
> Cheers,
>
> John

Can somebody point me to a link for some good documentation about how gtk
engines work, and where the lines between gtk engines and gtk themes are?
I've tried googling, but I don't understand the topic well enough to google
intelligently.  I understand gtk vs. qt and I understand different themes
w/in gtk, but this engine thing is a bit over my head--I'd love to read up
on it.

Thanks!

--
Peaces,