[ubuntu-art] New Wave (Engine)

Andrea "Cimi" Cimitan cimi86 at alice.it
Tue May 13 17:52:03 BST 2008

2008/5/13 Conn <subpsyke at eircom.net>:

> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 3:56 PM, Cory K. <coryisatm at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> >  Thing is, if you can't push the changes upstream and have to fork, you
> >  *need* to have this packaged and put into Ubuntu (or any distro) if you
> >  expect the engine to gain traction. Needing people to compile the
> engine
> >  themselves will harm adoption. I will also say, Ubuntu will not accept
> >  this as a patch to Clearlooks.
>
> Remember that Ubuntulooks essentially began as a fork of Clearlooks.
> Now we are "stuck" with this unmaintained engine, while Clearlooks
> remains well-maintained and (slowly but surely) has had new features
> and styles introduced.
>
> If all this NewLook fork does is apply slight changes to the
> Clearlooks engine, I would suggest you forget about it and adopt a
> "hybrid" theme, using only well-maintained engines (clearlooks,
> murrine), or even use "pixmap" as a placeholder to make a convincing
> case for a new style to be added to the official Clearlooks (or
> possibly Murrine) engine.
>
> To modify an existing engine means that it becomes yet another fork
> with a few new features. That's nice, but what happens in six months
> time when the person who created this fork gets bored, and the patches
> stop applying cleanly to the Clearlooks engine? This is a serious
> technical issue that should not be ignored.
>
> Conn

The next relese of murrine should be much more feature rich to not require
any additions. Also I don't want to spread the voice about the svn version
because first we need a rgba gtk patch (which is currently being written).

If you have suggestions for murrine, instead writing here, please post a
BUGREPORT:

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=murrine

Cheers
--