[ubuntu-art] Ideas

Julian Oliver julian at selectparks.net
Mon May 5 13:22:35 BST 2008

..on or around Sun, May 04, 2008 at 08:29:02PM -0500, Michael McKinley said:
> On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 4:06 PM, Cory K. <coryisatm at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> >
> > Peter Mayhew wrote:
> >  >
> >  > Another part of the idea of Humanness is that Ubuntu should work on as
> >  > many computers as possible. Compiz, blending, and other discussed
> >  > require specific graphics cards or use too much processing power to be
> >  > practical on many computers; these should be incorporated when they
> >  > have been made as efficient as possible and when the graphics required
> >  > are the minimum available, not an arbitrary level that too many people
> >  > fail to meet.
> >  >

> >  No. Let XFCE and Open/Flux/Blackbox worry about these people.
>
> I agree completely.  I know that most of this wasn't directed towards
> me, but I just want to clarify my position.  I'm all for taking full
> advantage of Compiz and the like to make Ubuntu as elegant as
> possible.  My only concern with the completely borderless windows was
> that it might not degrade gracefully.

i think it'll be fine as long as the borders are a couple of pixels.  i
have been using 'borderless' (1px borders) windows for a couple of years
on my WM of choice (http://dwm.suckless.org) and do not struggle at all
with the visual definition between windows. the fact of window contents
being different from client to client helps delimit windows more than is
anticipated also.

to assist the eye further however we could scale the border colour
depending on the position of the x client in the stack z-order: the
lightest border would be for clients in a position deepest in the stack.
for continuity, the client on top of the stack could have borders the
same colour as that of the panel.

cheers,

--
julian oliver