[ubuntu-art] creamlooks-gtk

Sumit Agarwal sumit.chandra.agarwal at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 00:03:21 GMT 2008

Hrm, I'm not sure I'm following your first point. Precisely what I was
arguing was that most users are *not* aware that ALT-TAB cycles
through windows, and that such behavior is not intuitive (though
useful). ALT-LMB grabbing a window is news even to me  ;)

But your TabletPC suggestion is interesting, possibly even for other
input devices as well. What it amounts to is a sort of 'invisible'
multi-pixel window border. The best of both worlds? Maybe. I worry
about a situation in which a user needs to manipulate pixels at the
edge of a window, but the solution is simply to have it only switch to
resize behavior *outside* of the application window, exactly like a
window border. This might be perceived as interfering with underlying
windows, but how many people select an underlying window by clicking
it within 3 pixels of an overlaying window? This solution would also
eliminate the need for a corner resize grip. Overall, I think it would
be an exceptionally intuitive, naturalistic, and space-efficient
solution.

We still need single-pixel borders for non-compositing window
managers, but with compositing window managers that border can be
eliminated entirely in favor of a drop shadow.

-Sumit