[ubuntu-art] Whats Up with This?

Kenneth Wimer kwwii at ubuntu.com
Mon Jun 30 13:19:56 BST 2008

On Monday 30 June 2008 13:53:40 Nick Russell wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 13:35 +0200, Kenneth Wimer wrote:
> > On Monday 30 June 2008 12:29:29 Nick Russell wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> > > Rather than necessarily set up opposing 'camps' (not intrinsically a
> > > bad thing, but it can be), is it possible for people to get involved in
> > > the development of this theme? - to improve the entirely-to-be-expected
> > > early flaws.
> >
> > Yes, it is possible for others to get involved with this.
>
> Ah that came out wrong, I wasn't meaning to criticise you, I was
> suggesting to the critics that they do something about the theme (get
> involved!) rather than just criticise.

No worries, I didn't take it poorly. Naturally we'd like any and all help we
can get, no matter which theme.

> > > It doesn't appear to have a statement of concept on the wiki with
> > > screenshots for people to comment on. I know it's possible for people
> > > to submit bugs against it, but I think it would be useful if it were on
> > > the wiki as well. The statement of concept is very important, because
> > > when someone says they don't like it, you can simply point them to the
> > > concept so they can understand why YOU like it and think it is the
> > > right direction to go in. You can also explain who the audience is
> > > (i.e. it may not be designed for the kind of people who are criticising
> > > it, if it is then that's when you know you need to reconsider aspects
> > > of your design).
> >
> > Actually, this is the first update for intrepid of the long term work we
> > started during the hardy cycle. The wiki page just needs to be updated
> > :-)
>
> Cool. Is the Hardy page about the work done so far still available? I
> didn't find it on my (admittedly brief) look. :-)

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/HardyDesign was the original page. In
the meantime it is very out of date as the orange parts are now all gone :p

I'll update the page sometime today (when I am done working on the theme
itself for today).

> > > IMO the wiki allows designer(s) and critics/audience to respond in a
> > > much less clinical/technical way to a design than does launchpad.
> >
> > I am unsure what you mean by "a much less clinical/technical" way as
> > anyone who wants to work on this needs to have the technical skills to do
> > so and/or go through a more elaborate process of submitting their ideas.
>
> Sorry that wasn't very clear. I completely agree that the people
> involved in the actual development need to be technically skilled. I was
> referring to the wiki (and indeed the forums) as a good place for the
> community to respond with more general comments about the theme (i.e. I
> like this, I don't like this, why I feel that way). What I'm getting at
> I suppose is that whilst obviously there will be technical/accessibility
> issues which are best reported on launchpad, there will also be more
> abstract/vague art-critic/audience-critic responses which would be best
> place somewhere else (forums/wiki/individuals blogs)?

It would probably be best if such responses went to the forum. Any "real"
problems with specific apps should be reported as bugs. I know this means
that we will have lots of bugs but it is the only way I know of to get a good
idea of which apps have problems using a dark theme.

Ken