[ubuntu-art] Mark has Thrown Down the Gauntlet!

Who mailforwho at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 24 15:22:27 BST 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 8:20 PM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Salane Ashcraft <salane89 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> We do indeed need to step it up! But at least we have made more
>> progress here latley!
>
> I'd love to see a .deb file I can install to get the new themes. So
> far I've seen some tarballs floating around that I have no clue how to
> use.
>
> I'll say there's progress when there's something I can install.
> Better yet, setup a PPA so that I can get updates for the theme as it
> changes.
>
> As my boss said to me yesterday, "Until I can click the button to [see
> it do something] we've got nothing."
>
> Whoever is managing the various theme projects should recruit a
> packager who will take ownership of that aspect for the theme you
> manage.

Another reason you're spot on here is that there's no way we can
expect a tarball with a theme to make it into a release.

We need packaging to be there from the start, so it comes naturally to
us, so we don't rush at the end. (By us, I think I mean the people
that are actually doing the cool work, not claiming to be one of them
:P)

A while ago we talked about 'PackagingSchool' happening some time on
IRC - everyone sits down, someone takes a 'lesson' and kerblamo, we
have 5 more artists able to do packaging too. I can't run such a
thing, but I'd try and attend, for sure!