[ubuntu-art] Ubuntu-Title font

Justin Dugger jldugger at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 05:38:47 BST 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 5:57 PM, Jan Claeys <lists at janc.be> wrote:
> Op woensdag 16-07-2008 om 22:37 uur [tijdzone -0500], schreef Justin
> Dugger:
>> I'm not saying that we should necessarily override these, but we
>> should at least understand them, accept that which is good and improve
>> that which can be improved.
>
> Some of your remarks might be caused by rendering issues, some might be
> because he thinks they make the font better.  I guess only he can answer
> that though...  :)
>
> (He's a professional typeface designer, so his reasons for these changes
> might be sound--except for 0 & O looking the same maybe).

Here's the thing -- we don't have to worry about stepping on artist's
toes or hurting feelings.  I'm sure the narrowing strokes and others
are intentional. But are they better?

But as things stand, he has his font and Ubuntu ships something else.
The license should mean anyone who disagrees is free to walk away, and
anyone who likes it is free to borrow some or all of it.  (I should
mention the ambiguous nature of font design rights, but I'm hardly an
IP lawyer).  I'm honored that a professional took the time to
demonstrate his talents with this font; the mark of a professional in
any field is being open to review.

More productively, does anyone else get blanks when loading the
current font into FontForge?

Steps I take to reproduce:

1. Install FontForge from universe:
  "sudo apt-get install fontforge"

2. Download the source package to ttf-ubuntu-title
"apt-get source ttf-ubuntu-title"

3. Open the FontForge .sfd:
 "fontforge ttf-ubuntu-title-0.3/Ubuntu-Title.sfd"

4. Note the lack of glyphs.

5. Open the .ttf instead and see wonderous glyphs ready for editing.

Justin Dugger