[ubuntu-art] next meeting

Webmaster, Jhnet.co.uk mail at jhnet.co.uk
Fri Feb 8 19:21:54 GMT 2008

With regards to the file manager idea I think this would simply be genius! A
start would be possibly to port across KDE's fabulous content sensitive "New
device found" type window which offers such functionality. Given how good
F-Spot is (and how few people realize it exists!) it would be great to offer
this as a default option for photo-heavy disks.

With regards to directory structures I can see your point, however above the
root directory (i.e. in your home folder), the only place you can access,
everything is fairly neat. (I am not saying here the *NIX directory
structure is ugly - from a technical point of view its just so logical its
beautiful) One of the things that most people have problems with is
organizing their files. While many of us (myself included) do organize our
files manually, using a clever new file manager idea (as proposed above),
combined with the indexing system and a bit of clever jiggery-pokery we
could almost make the file manager "organize" itself. With the new way GNOME
will be handling file systems (after finally disposing of the dreadful way
it handles it at the moment) it would be possible to have a virtual file
system where all your files (from all sorts of places) are organized and
usable from any application. Imagine plugging in a MP3 player and having the
music on it seamlessly integrate into your play list, and then disappear
when its disconnected. Some fairly fascinating and exciting things could be
done! Of course the problem with ditching the standard file system browsing
method (for "normal" use) is that it would potentially make it more
complicated to manually do things, or possibly mean people would get
confused about moving stuff onto their memory sticks or what not.