[ubuntu-art] Itrepid theme inspiration ?

Sumit Agarwal sumit.chandra.agarwal at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 15:49:24 BST 2008

Now that I think about it, you are very right that there is a troubling
(yes, not just curious, but troubling) conservatism to Ubuntu art. The
attitude with Ubuntu/GNOME seems to be: if we change it more than a
little bit, certain segments of both new and long-time users will leave
Ubuntu in droves. This is nonsense. Windows XP (Luna style was shocking
for its time! And it is still garishly blue!), Windows Vista, Mac OS 10,
and Mac Leopard all made very dramatic visual departures from their
predecessors. Far more dramatic than Human, even. These did not result
in a downturn in user base, with the possible exception of Vista (and we
all know that in Vista's case it wasn't because of the look!).

Lets be bold. Lets be visionary. And in the process, lets build Ubuntu's
halo. It really is one of the most effective ways to build attention,
and thus users.

-Sumit