[ubuntu-art] Itrepid theme inspiration ?

Sumit Agarwal sumit.chandra.agarwal at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 17:14:22 BST 2008

I think both mock-up links presented (the Windows one and the Ubuntu
one) are really great examples, though they may be a touch too dark for
mainstream tastes (maybe I'm wrong. Vista's taskbar is very dark and so
are a lot of other elements of its UI). I personally think the Windows
shot is slightly better for the sole reason that the main engine
(dialogue boxes, buttons, menubar, etc) is more color neutral.

And, above all else, I REALLY REALLY REALLY think Ubuntu needs a
super-simple color changer!!! We should not expect users to be
experienced colorists! We also should not expect users to like orange
(orange is just about the more unusual PC desktop color theme. Not bad,
but highly unusual)! As in Vista we should have a color picker that
simply selects a main base color (default orange) with the rest of the
color shades generated algorithmically by the back-end. What is great
about the Vista color-chooser is that it is simple, intuitive, and does
not allow the user to select a shade/hue/saturation that visually
'breaks' the interface or makes it illegible. What is stupid about Vista
is that regardless of what main color you choose, there are always
hard-coded cyan accents and highlights that are based off of the default
color.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/window-color-and-appearance.jpg

As far as choosing colors for icons, I sort of agree and disagree.
Firstly, the logistics for that seem tricky. Secondly, I feel like the
icons should 1) be photographically full-color, such that there is not
apparent color 'scheme' to them, and 2) be recognizable by color
independent of the desktop color scheme (i.e. Pidgin is recognized as
much by its purple as by its bird; close/exit is conventionally red).

Maybe I'm wrong  =)  this is the kind of good discussion we need around
here, and hopefully somebody more skilled than us will be able to code
up a solution for 8.10!