[ubuntu-art] Artwork / packagefreeze exception request

Jeff Schroeder jeffschroed at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 17:36:05 BST 2007

In the spirit of eye candy and the "Consistent and Easy to Use Login
Screen and Unlock Screensaver"[1] specification, I've made a human
gnome-screensaver lock dialog theme.

Currently, this is what the screensaver unlock dialog looks like:
http://www.digitalprognosis.com/opensource/ubuntu/gnome-screensaver-default.png

And with the new human theme for users with and without faces:
http://www.digitalprognosis.com/opensource/ubuntu/01-human-gnome-screensaver.png
http://www.digitalprognosis.com/opensource/ubuntu/02-human-gnome-screensaver.png
http://www.digitalprognosis.com/opensource/ubuntu/03-human-gnome-screensaver.png
http://www.digitalprognosis.com/opensource/ubuntu/04-human-gnome-screensaver.png

You can download it here:
http://www.digitalprognosis.com/opensource/ubuntu/gnome-screensaver-human.tar.bz2

This makes the screensaver unlock use the same images as the gdm login
albeit scaled down. Doing this increases the overall desktop
experience and wow factor of Ubuntu slightly by adding consistency. No
strings are changed that require translation, no package is seriously
modifed, and nothing risky happens. It is a glade file, a dialog
specific gtkrc, and 2 images that need to be added to the
gnome-screensaver package. The glade file is just a modified version
of the current default.

I'm asking for a freeze break for this simply because it is a
non-intrusive change that makes Ubuntu look better. Besides my being
an idiot and missing the artwork / betafreeze, are there any good
reasons to _not_ ship this with gutsy? Perhaps it could be included
after the beta freeze?

Installation:
- Extract the contents of gnome-screensaver-human.tar.bz2 into
/usr/share/gnome-screensaver.
- Run 'gconftool-2 -s --type=string
/apps/gnome-screensaver/lock_dialog_theme human'

Reverting back to the default:
- Run 'gconftool-2 -s --type=string
/apps/gnome-screensaver/lock_dialog_theme default'

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnifiedLoginUnlock
--

Jeff Schroeder

Don't drink and derive, alcohol and analysis don't mix.