[ubuntu-art] firefox-themes-ubuntu FTBFS - can anyone help ?

Alexander Sack asac at jwsdot.com
Tue Oct 2 16:19:23 BST 2007

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 03:15:24PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> My automated package tester reports at
>  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox-themes-ubuntu/+bug/127200
> that firefox-themes-ubuntu does not build.
>
> This seems to be because the artwork processing it uses was written to
> assume the unpacked rather than packed arrangement of the firefox
> chrome.
>
> The relevant code was originally written by Frank Schoep; it is
> written in PHP.  I wrapped it up in the Debian-style packaging but
> haven't dealt with the PHP code itself.
>
> (a) Is it intended that our firefox is now built with packed chrome ?
>     The chrome packing setup seems intended for Windows where opening
>     files is expensive and where there is no proper packaging system,
>     and it doesn't seem to me that it's right for Ubuntu.  I haven't
>     done any tests but I would expect the performance of the unpacked
>     chrome to be superior.  Certainly the debuggability and general
>     manageability is superior.

This is intended; I discussed this upstream and since we even had
regressions because of the flat chrome approach, I didn't really have
a strong point to diverge from upstream on this.

> (b) If we think this is wrong, can we sensibly change it in our
>     firefox at this point in the release cycle ?

see above.

> (c) In the absence of a change to firefox, is anyone here able and
>     willing to help fix this FTBFS bug by making the PHP extract the
>     relevant archives ?  I haven't looked at the relevant PHP code
>     myself at all.  If necessary I can probably fix it but my approach
>     might well be suboptimal, given my lack of familiarity with PHP or
>     the existing arrangements.

So the package uses PHP during build? wierd. CC'ed mozillateam mailing
list. Maybe there is someone with PHP skills who can help out here?

 - Alexander