[ubuntu-art] [Ubuntu-Art] Hardy GTK theme

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Nov 7 17:10:54 GMT 2007

On Nov 7, 2007 12:14 AM, Troy James Sobotka <troy.sobotka at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
> Another problem with dark themes is a purely technical one. I've done a
> handful dark themes myself, but they always end up with small glitches
> here and there because not all apps are designed to respect the theme
> 100% This makes for a bit of an amateurish feel in the long run. That is
> not acceptable for Hardy.
>
> I always seem to find myself in agreement with Mikkel's observations
> and conclusions.

One thing we may want to consider is quickly getting a dark theme in place
in Hardy so that by Alpha 1, which is released November 29th, we can start
getting bug reports on these problems.

This could be as simple as including the ubuntu-studio theme, or it could be
more advanced. I think the key is to get something in soon. Core devs are
*already* running hardy, and in large part, they (not us) will need to help
identify and communicate these problems to upstream.

I can personally attest that a dark theme can be usable and very attractive.
It is challenging to achieve a balance and to get your applications working
and looking good. The beauty of a dark theme is it draws your eyes to your
work, which will have a lighter color, and in a way relegates the controls
and chrome to a less prominent positions without actually putting them in an
unusual or unexpected place.

An additional challenge with this type of functional art is to not be too
clever. It still needs to be functional.

Hmm... that might be a cool name for the new theme: functional-art.

IMHO, I like these:
http://guentherbeyer.de/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/ubuntu_804_theme_test_02b.png
http://pinheiro-kde.blogspot.com/2007/11/decisionsdecisionsdecisions-so-many.html

I especially like the way the buttons on this theme look similar to the
keyboard buttons on the new macbook.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode