[ubuntu-art] Wanted: artists input on papercdcase.

Nik Butler nik at butlershouse.co.uk
Sat Mar 17 19:20:08 GMT 2007

Good evening, I have only just subscribed and forgive me for being lazy
not grabbing the archives to check for a previous version of this idea.

For a while now I have been wondering how we can create good quality CD
  cases without the inherent ( potential waste ) of creating the current
Cardboard flyer/folders and with a mechanism to allow us to create new
content for the cover ( including such wonderful things as local
Ubuntu/Lug contacts ).
I am taking a leaf from such classics as
PaperCDcase ( http://www.papercdcase.com/ ) and the example video from
the Digg article (
http://digg.com/videos/educational/Coolest_Cheapest_and_Practical_CD_Cases_you_ll_even_own_How_to_make_one

). I am not a designer of graphics and art but I can see a opportunity
here to create a suitable product which can be printed on two sides of
good quality A4 paper and then folded to create the case .  Since the
artwork can be printed in small scale ( inket / colourlaser ) or large
scale ( PDC Copyprint ? ) and then folded as required it seems a better
fit to answering the on going presentation requirements. So is there
anyone here who can help ?

Now yes I understand that  this will require work to create the case,
but not all things quick and cheap come are easy . I will open a page on
the the wiki and post some thoughts on this as a project idea but I
wanted to get this a ball rolling.

My second thought since posting this was to have very stiff cardboard A4
   pages created onto which a small foam dot can be placed to hold the
CD. I am fairly sure I have seen this before as an example of mailing
and advertising a product but im to old to remember where and when .

Cheers

Nik Butler
Ubuntu-UK